Sunday, January 31, 2010

What's wrong with not being Malay?

Salaam!

I thought its kinda obvious but I guess I was wrong. Race and religion isn't the same right? Right. Then how come people confuse over being a Malay and being a Muslim? Okay, so this question doesn't cross everyone's minds. I myself have only started to think about this matter deeply only since like two three years ago.

I remembered clearly back when I was still in primary 5 (if I'm not mistaken) when this someone pointed out to me that, "Not all Malays are Muslims and not all Muslims are Malays". I was uhmm yeah you might have a point there. And I thought about the Indonesians. They have Christians there, but are Malays. They even have those Indonesian names that doesn't sound much like Muslims but they are Muslims. Of course in Brunei we have the mindset (a.k.a confusion), that all Malays are Muslims because we are all Muslims! No matter by name (only), by words or by actions.

But the problem is, the difference/similarities between those two entitlements does create a confusion. Baju kurung isn't what Islam made its followers wear. But it was created as such to cover as much of the wearer to suit the Islamic guidelines, mainly because Islam has been around the region (nusantara or alam/tanah melayu) for quite some time now that it has become a culture. Ya gets? Try checking how Nabi Muhammad got married when Islam has arrived (this means, excluding the one with Saidatina Khadijah). Do they have all those adat berbedak and such? Where did we get these from then? I remember my history lesson well, it said that the culture in Brunei are INFLUENCED by the Buddhism and whichsoever religions that has arrived before Islam AND Islam itself.

Same goes to the Arabs. Not all Arabs are Muslims, as what has been portrayed by the media (you realised?) and not all Muslims are being Muslims. For example myself. I may talk so much about Islam here but I may not follow so much about it (which I should and am trying to).

So anyways, back to this whole Malay and Muslim thang. If you wear a Baju Kurung or Cara Melayu, people could immediately assume that you're a Malay but can they be sure that you're a Muslim? What if you're not wearing a tudung to go with the Baju Kurung? What if your actions speaks otherwise of what Islam has to offer?

Islam is a way of life, it isn't culture, it isn't a trend, it isn't a theory or philosophy. Its a religion from Allah, the one and only God of all time. Its a faith you put upon, that you recognise its laws as divine and undoubtedly perfect. Its a faith, and that 'faith' speaks for itself. Do you know what 'faith' means?

So can you answer the title? From what I know, not being Muslim is the matter. You not acting like a Muslim is THE matter. A matter to reflect upon, a matter to change, a serious matter to act upon....

No comments: